top of page
  • Writer's pictureHarvinder Badalia

Staying in Canada After Graduation

Canadians are lucky to live in a country with such great opportunities and resources. For its numerous benefits, many people want to work in Canada.

The only constraint is that you need to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident if you want to enjoy the benefits of living here. Many people who study abroad at Canadian universities hope they will be able to stay and work after graduation, but unfortunately this doesn't always happen for many reasons. There are some ways, however, that students can increase their chances of staying in Canada after finishing school and going through the immigration process successfully.

If you are an international student who has spent time in Canada during your studies, and want to stay after graduation, this article will tell you how.

International students who graduate from Canadian universities may not have the opportunity to stay and work in Canada. Even if they are able to find a job, they may not be allowed to work without a permit. This leaves many international graduates feeling trapped between staying in the country or returning home without any prospects for employment. Thankfully, there is an option that can allow these individuals to stay and work legally: applying for a post-graduation work permit as soon as they graduate.

Post-Graduation Work Permit

A post-graduation work permit (PGWP) makes it possible for international graduates who are accepted into one of 300 designated occupations by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to stay indefinitely while continuing their search for a long-term career path within Canada.

Getting a post-graduation work permit to stay and work in Canada requires that you first graduate from an approved Canadian DLI college or university. The next step is applying under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWP). Each year, CIC approves 300 occupations for use by international graduates who want to stay in Canada after graduation. Applicants should familiarize themselves with the eligibility criteria so they know which occupation they qualify for before filling out their application online. Once submitted, applicants must complete their application forms within 90 days of being accepted into a PGWP eligible occupation.

Applicants can expect to hear back about their application within three months following submission if all requirements have been met correctly and on time. If your application is successful, then you will receive a positive letter from the CIC, as well as an official PGWP stamp in your passport. These two documents are the proof you need to apply for a work permit and begin working legally in Canada after graduation. You must be working within Canada with valid documentation to stay here.

Getting accepted into any eligible occupation under the PGWP program can open many doors for those wanting to work in Canada after finishing school. In addition to giving international graduates the chance to live and work in Canada that they otherwise wouldn't have, it also allows them to compare employers and find out what type of career path best suits them. It is especially beneficial for those who wish to get permanent residency without being employed by their post-graduation employer for three continuous years.

You should apply for the permit within 180 days of finishing your graduation. Once you get the permit, you can working Canada from 3 months to 3 years.

How the post work permit opens your path for permanent residence

Once the applicant has worked in Canada for 3 years, they can apply for PR (Permanent Residency).

Individuals who have Canadian work experience get preference in Express Entry. Also, for some provinces under PNP, you will have an extra edge over the other candidates to be selected if you have few years of work experience in Canada. Canadian Education Credential and work experience clears your path for Permanent Residence.

Students who are currently going to study in Canada, can also apply for the program. The country may approve your application before you graduate from the Canadian school. In that way, you can work legally and get a post-graduation work permit before your graduation.

If you're planning to go for further studies, then it is advisable to not apply for the permit. While studying, most of the study permits allow international students to work while studying. You do not need a work permit for this. You can work on campus or off campus for 48 hours a week. However, once you graduate from the study program, then it is necessary to apply for post-graduation work permit to stay and work in Canada.

VCan Immigration offers the best immigration services to applicants from different countries. We provide student visas and student visa services to its valued clients. Most of these students face problems related to their study permits after getting admission in any foreign country. In fact, it is quite difficult for them to find a suitable place through which they can get the best study visa services and manage to complete their education in a hassle-free manner. Our student visa services, enable students to settle down smoothly in Canada as they provide them with all the documents related to their studies and residence. Apart from providing the necessary documents, our immigration agency also offers consultation related to admission process for international students.

Therefore, if you are looking for a very good immigration consultant who can guide you throughout your application process so that you don't have to face any problems during your stay in Canada then it is advisable that you contact us immediately without wasting anytime. For further details visit our website at

Follow Us On

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page